this week i had to externalize fonts in an AS3 project. so i looked into my delicious links and found two very good tutorials, one by Troy Gardner on the TroyWorks blog and another one by Deden Ramadhan on the ini na!! blog.
in the first moment everything worked fine and i had no problems embedding the fonts, loading them and finally using them at runtime. i like how it works!
some days later i had to embed cyrillic, chinese and japanese characters from an ArialUnicodeMS.ttf font. then i always got the error message: “Error: Unable to transcode ArialUnicodeMS.ttf.”, at compile time. the first idea was that there’s something wrong with the ArialUnicodeMS.ttf file, because it works fine with other font files. so i tried another ArialUnicodeMS.ttf file from a colleague, but the result was the same error message. using google wasn’t that much successful, but i got a hint from a colleague that
flex includes several font managers to handle embedded fonts, exactly three. here you can find some informations about the three managers in the livedocs.
so the solution for my problem was to use the flash.fonts.AFEFontManager and everything works fine. to change the font manager you can simply use the compiler argument:
for your mxmlc compiler.